Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory

Links

Visit the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Home Page

Online Resource: History of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory

Online Resource: "A Short History of the Laboratory at Livermore"

Contents

Laboratory Directors
Staff

Notes

This laboratory opened in 1952 as a weapons-development branch of the University of California Radiation Laboratory (now Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory), and was intended to serve as a complement (and informal competitor) to the Los Alamos Scientific Laboratory. In 1971 the Lawrence Livermore Laboratory was formally separated from Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory amid campus protests over the university's participation in military research. In 1981, the laboratory was renamed Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory. In 2005 the University of California turned over management of the laboratory to a consortium named Lawrence Livermore National Security, LLC.

Laboratory Directors

Staff

Home >> Browse >> Institutions >> Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory