University of California, Berkeley

Links

Visit the Berkeley Physics Home Page

Also see the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory ACAP Page

Contents

Department Chairs
Faculty and Postdocs
PhDs

Notes

In the 1930s Ernest Lawrence's "Radiation Laboratory" expanded to become a semi-autonomous entity near the Berkeley campus. After World War II, Berkeley Radiation Laboratory activities were primarily supported by the Atomic Energy Commission (AEC), and the laboratory was often counted as a part of the AEC's new system of national laboratories. See Peter Westwick, The National Labs: Science in an American System, 1947-1974 (Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard University Press, 2003).

In ACAP, staff at the Radiation Laboratory are generally treated as members of Berkeley's physics department up until Lawrence's death in 1958 (when the lab was renamed after him), but this historical division should be considered otherwise arbitrary. Although the Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory (LBL) staff continued to overlap significantly with the Berkeley physics department, staff that were primarily members of LBL are included on the page for Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory after this point.

Department Chairs

Faculty and Postdocs

PhDs

Home >> Browse >> Institutions >> University of California, Berkeley